Lips, they feature large in romantic fiction, being stared at (prelude to a kiss), licked, lapped, sucked, parted, nibbled, nipped, even bitten (during a kiss), brushed with a thumb (post kiss).
As a writer of romantic suspense, I believe I even featured a pair of lips sewn together…with crimson, silk thread—not nice, and somewhat beside the point, because my raison d'être today, is to help… Introverts...survive the celebrations ahead.
Those who panic at the phrase ‘ice-breaker’. Those wrought with anxiety as the festive season fast approaches. OMG, the parties, the dinners, the after-work drinks; the men, the women (eek), all assessing, guessing, judging, boring you with inane chat… How the hell do you wrest back a modicum of control, and impress? Easy, go prepared. With a few random facts on a few random subjects, to stun, engage, or at the very least, to fill those horrendously awkward hangs of silence. I’ll be covering a range of subjects over the coming weeks, but thought I’d kick start this series with LIPSTICK as a conversation grenade, to help you out…
A few random facts about... LIPSTICK
- According to a study conducted by the University of Manchester, men will only glance at women with bare lips for an average of 2.2 seconds, whereas they will gaze at a woman wearing pink lipstick for 6.7 seconds, and positively stare at a woman to the point of entrancement (7.3 seconds) if her lips are bright red. (This is more of a what to wear pointer rather than a what-the-hell-should-I-say, hint)
- Fish scales are still used in lipstick to boost shine (A handy snippet to ward off anyone unwelcome, who looks like they are honing in for something a whole lot more touch-feely than an air kiss. More a defensive measure than a fact.)
- Though other cosmetics were rationed during WW2, lipstick was kept in full production because Winston Churchill believed it boosted moral.
- One of the world’s most expensive lipsticks is Guerlain’s KissKiss Gold and Diamonds Lipstick, which will set you back $62,000. The casing is gold and diamond encrusted and, yes, it’s refillable. (Bloody good job, at that price.
70% of men think lipstick is sexy. (Good to know, don’t get any on their their collar, because the phrase "lipstick on his collar" is a euphemism to describe a man who is cheating on his partner.)
- The phrase "lipstick on a pig" is a euphemism for unsuccessfully attempting to make attractive something (or some idea) that is inherently unattractive. (Exercise caution when dropping this into a conversation, the person you are addressing may take it personally)
- Lipstick is thought to have been invented some 5000 years ago by Sumerian men and women who used crushed gemstones to paint their lips. (I’m guessing the poor were stuck using sand and mud)
- Sales of lipstick increase when the weather is gloomy. (Nope, that’s just an excuse to buy another stick…most women, apparently, own 20 different lipsticks. And should you wish to try making your own lipstick…using crayons, LOOK HERE
Now, I’m not suggesting that you should bore the arse off people with a recantation about lipstick at the next social you attend, far from it, but what I hope I’ve provided here, is a choice of awkward-silence-breakers that could lead the conversation, well, anywhere.
Should you wish to suggest a random subject you wish me to explore (to help all the introverts out there with their conversation pitch), leave a comment.